Whether visiting the serene and peaceful Kathmandu or roaming around the bustling city of London, travelling brings several risks, from missing your checked-in baggage to losing your passport. This is why it is essential to always opt for travel insurance when travelling abroad.
But what exactly is an insurance policy for travellers, the best travel insurance in India, how to buy one, and what should you know about getting one? Keep reading to explore all of these aspects. Before delving into the details, it is imperative to understand what this kind of insurance is, how it impacts us, and its benefits.
What is travel insurance?
A travel policy is a form of financial protection offered to travellers against risks associated with travelling. While travelling, you might be exposed to several risks which can have varying degrees of impact on your financial security and well-being. Without an insurance policy, you might have to face these risks alone. But if you have insurance, you can ensure you are protected and fight them head-on.
What are the benefits of having travel insurance?
Let us take the example of a few common risks that can impact travellers visiting a foreign country to understand how having travel insurance can help you.
- Losing your checked-in luggage
- Missing a connecting flight
- Cancelled or delayed trip
- Medical Emergency
- Personal accident
- Trip interruption
- Losing your passport
- Rejection of visa
These are the most common risks affecting travellers visiting a foreign country. That is where travel insurance comes in and mitigates the after-effects of these risks while ensuring your well-being.
Having insurance ensures that you receive the following:
- Proper medical treatment
- Compensation for the loss
- Protection from liability
- Home to Home service (If you have that cover)<
Which is the best insurance provider?
Indians are in a great spot regarding access to insurance because of the availability of dozens of travel insurers. Due to this, not only is the price affordable, but it also brings about a lot of choices. While this is good in terms of options and the ability to pick and choose, it brings its own complexity in the form of indecisiveness.
Here are a few things you can consider to choose the right insurance for your needs:
- Appropriate coverage- Compare different insurers based on the coverage offered. For example, if you are travelling for leisure, adventure, business, or even for education, whether you have the appropriate coverages available.
- Claim settlement ratio- This is an important metric as it informs how many claims are approved/settled by the insurer and allows a look into whether you should get a policy from that insurer.
- Premium price- Although premium prices in India are very affordable, it is vital to see the settlement-to-premium ratio to understand whether it is worth it.
- Travel destination- Whether your destination is Uruguay or Cambodia, it is pointless if the insurer does not cover where you are travelling. Thus, it is crucial to find the right insurer.
- Special conditions- There are sometimes special conditions to claim settlement, and if you know that you will violate the condition or are not eligible for coverage, choosing a different insurer might be better.
Based on these criteria, I landed on Niva Bupa for my travel insurance needs. They offer some of the best plans with detailed coverage options that protect you from any risk you might encounter while travelling.
How to buy online travel insurance in India?
Once you have determined the right insurance provider for your needs, you can then begin with the rest of the procedure to purchase it. Here are the steps I follow to buy insurance from my preferred insurance provider:
- Visit the Niva Bupa Travel Insurance Page
- Fill out the form available at the top of the page with the type of travel, the travel destination, travel duration, and your phone number.
- After clicking on view plans, you can input the traveller details, and once done, you can click on next.
- After this, you can view different curated plans and a slider to change the insured value; this can help you customise the plan based on your needs.
Following the above tips, you can safely find and buy the best travel insurance in India for your needs. While there are dozens of insurers, finding the right insurer and getting the ideal protection can ensure the safety of you and your loved ones while keeping your peace of mind.